Skip to main content

Attendance Information

Frequently Asked Attendance Questions


Q: Does the school receive funding when my student is absent for any reason, even illness?
A: No. The school only receives funding if a student is present at school.
Q: Does the school receive funding if my child arrives late or leaves early from school?
A: Yes. The school receives funding even if your child is at school for a partial day. So anytime that it can be arranged for your student to be at school for part of the day, it makes a great difference.
Q: Does the school receive funding if my student goes on Independent Study for an absence of 5 days or more?
A: Yes. If you let the office know in advance that your student is going to miss five or more days of school, an independent study packet can be provided by the teacher.
Q: Does the school receive the full amount of funding if my student only completes part of the work that is stated on their Independent Study packet?
A: No. The school will receive the percentage of funding that correlates to the percentage of work completed. (i.e. – 100% work completed, 100% funding . 50% work completed, 50% funding)
Q: If my student is absent for a vacation and I have let the teacher and the office know about it, is my absence excused?
A: No. Even if you let the office or the teacher know that you will be on vacation, the reason for absence is still unexcused.
Q: What if my student is absence for three or more days for an unexcused reason?
A: After three unexcused absences, your student’s name is given to the principal. After four or more unexcused absences, your student will receive a letter that your student qualifies for SARB. SARB stands for Student Attendance Review Board.
Q: What happens if I never call or send a note to verify my student’s absence?
A: Three attempts are made to contact you and leave a message that your student has an unverified absence. After the third attempt, your student is marked unexcused.
Q: If I let my student’s teacher know the reason for the absence, does that count for verification of that absence?
A: No. It is a parent’s responsibly to notify the office by phone, email or note for any absence that your student has. It is not the teacher’s responsibility to inform the office. The absence call line is 714 378-1515 ext 2282 or you can email Lisa Benjamin at